Webinar: Towards Unprecedented Changes in South Africa’s Power Sector
As the energy transition to net zero by 2050 commences in South Africa’s power sector, it is fundamental that we explore how the finance sector can facilitate and scale this important process.
Central to this approach is how key financial actors and institutions will finance and manage the new renewable energy market. Financing the expansion of renewable energy will require investment at all levels of the economy, and a range of market participants including commercial and industrial actors and Independent Power Producers (IPPs).
The National Business Initiative (NBI), in partnership with Just Share, and the World Wide Fund for Nature(WWF-SA) are hosting the official launch of their electricity report: Climate Change Investment And Finance Opportunities in The South African Electricity Sector. The report will be launched at the webinar and will further unpack the unprecedented changes currently underway in South Africa’s power sector.
The session will include a panel of high-level speakers from the finance sector, who will discuss:
- How financiers and investors are currently supporting the renewable energy market at different scales
- The changes anticipated in South Africa’s electricity sector in the near future
- Key financing considerations for companies wanting to make a significant investment in renewable energy
- The financing of transmission network upgrades in key provinces
- Unlocking the future electricity and renewable energy market at a commercial, industrial and IPP level
Keynote speakers include:
- Robert Lewenson: Old Mutual (Head: Responsible Investment)
- Pranisha Sahadeo: Rand Merchant Bank (Senior Transactor: Infrastructure Sector Solutions)
- Arvana Singh: Nedbank (Head: Sustainable Finance Solutions)